This program offers children the opportunity to have fun learning the skills of our ancestors from someone who’s lived the Old Ways. It’s a beautiful way to bring balance to their technology-driven lives, understand the difference between their needs and wants, and gain the self-confidence that comes from meeting those needs directly.
This is a mentoring program. We will make fires by rubbing sticks together, learn edible and medicinal plants, move silently, feel the natural rhythm of the land, and discover ancient wisdom as we “seek what they sought.” All classes are taught with love, compassion, non-violent communication (NVC) methods, and the inherent principles of living a life in Harmony with the Earth.
I’ll be drawing from over 30 years teaching experience to offer fun experiences that have real value in supporting your child’s growth into a whole human.
Here is a partial list of experiences children may have:
- Native and nature immersion games
- Sensory awareness, expanded vision
- Silent walking and stalking
- Tracking and reading animal sign
- Safe use of knives and knife sharpening
- Edible and medicinal plants
- Fire making with flint and steel, bowdrill and handdrill
- Preparing char cloth
- Preparing tinder
- Types of fires for warmth, signalling, cooking and the making of tools
- Using fire to shape and bend wood; straightening handdrill shafts and coal burning
- Shelter design and concepts for insulation and weatherproofing
- Shelter location based on topography
- Water purification using primitive methods
- Making rope/string from plants for fishing line, nets, snares, etc.
- Digging sticks and rabbit sticks
- Primitive hygiene (making soap, toothbrush and comb)
- Paiute deadfall trap, quail trap and springpole snare
- Safety outdoors (poisonous plants, insects, reptiles, bear and mtn. lion)
- Useful knots
- Outdoors cooking methods and wild teas
- Accessing intuition
- Traditional and modern stories
- Wilderness ethics